To aid those considering homeschooling, or are new to this fantastic adventure, here are some helpful FAQs:
Here are some options to meet the yearly Nationally Standardized Testing requirement:
- You can administer the test yourself. There is a list of test vendors at the NC DNPE.
- You can find a service where you can pay to have someone test your student(s): Woodcock Johnson Testing at The Homeschool Room in Huntersville and Matthews. (a great option for the required annual testing for home schoolers) is available throughout the year. Shawn Hill has been administering this popular testing option with us since 2008. Please contact him directly for scheduling appointments and questions about Woodcock Johnson Testing. His contact email is firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (704) 607-9092.
- There are more options! Please see The Homeschool Gossip’s List of Enrichment Classes and Services for the most current list of test services.
The Homeschool Gossip's Links for Socialization Opportunities:
- The Homeschool Gossip’s Social Network: The Homeschool Gossip Social Network, is a network of social groups to help you connect with other homeschoolers through common interests and ages! These groups are for coordinating meet ups and to stay connected. http://www.thehomeschoolgossip.com/p/the-homeschool-gossip-social-network.html
- List of homeschool support groups
- List of homeschool dances and proms:updated during the school year
- List homeschool Adventure Groups such as 4h, Girl Scouts, AHG, Boy Scouts, Trail Life and others.
- List homeschool field trip and outing ideas
The Homeschool Gossip's Links for Academic Support & socialization opportunities:
- Homeschool Enrichment Classes & Services: For classes and services outside the home. http://www.thehomeschoolgossip.com/p/the-homeschool-gossips-lis-of.html
- List of homeschool co-ops & tutorials: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-homeschool-gossip/homeschool-co-ops-in-the-charlotte-lake-norman-and-surrounding-areas/137291519997038
AMAZING FREE SUPPORT RESOURCES!
- Virtual Homeschool Group :We are an online homeschool course co-op. Think of it as your local co-op gone electronic with no geographical borders. It is all-volunteer run and donation supported so that we can offer the classes tuition-free. We offer at your own pace and live online classes. August 1st is the big registration day each year for live online classes. At your own pace (ayops) can be started at any time. Contact Tammy Moore at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Donna Young offers the largest selection of Printable homeschool planners. Not only will you be able to print a complete homeschool planner, you can also read Donna's How to Plan Homeschool articles with examples and suggestions.
- Free MIT courses, including videos, audio, simulations, lecture notes and exams!
- HSLDA’s Membership for Parents of Preschoolers This FREE HSLDA membership is for parents or legal guardians whose oldest child is under age 5. Here are the benefits you receive! Personal phone and email access to legal staff for your state, for any legal concerns regarding your homeschool Toddlers to Tweens consultant (preschool–8th grade) who can answer your homeschooling questions about everything from getting started to learning styles, from curriculum to lesson planning, and more www.hslda.org/ToddlersToTweens Struggling Learner/Special Needs consultants who can assist you in diagnosing and addressing your homeschooled child’s special needs www.hslda.org/StrugglingLearner
- LibraVox – free and low-cost audio books
- Forgotten Books is a London-based book publisher specializing in the restoration of old books, both fiction and non-fiction. Books available to read online, download as ebooks, or purchase in print. https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en
- Where to Go Wednesday: NC Aquariums As the weather cools down, maybe your family enjoys a trip to the coast? Consider a visit to one of our wonderful aquariums. With preregistration, homeschools are allowed on free visit per school year. You must be a registered homeschool with DNPE.
- Lynda.com through CMS Library - Lynda.com is an online educational site that includes over 3,000 courses (and over 130,000 videos) in popular fields like web design, web development, IT, education/instruction, media production, and business. Normally, using lynda.com requires a paid subscription, but Charlotte Mecklenburg Library cardholders can access lynda.com content FREE with their library card number following these instructions.
STAY CONNECTEDYou can subscribe to The Homeschool Gossip's email list to receive a digest emailed to you! Go to the blog or the facebook page to subscribe.